Gluten-Free Watermelon Sherbet Cake Recipe
There are some foods that take you back to a certain time or place in life. What foods do that to you? For me, Friendly's Sherbet Wattamelon Cake reminds me of summers spent on the ocean when I was a kid. Every summer I was so excited to head to the East Coast, and every trip was not complete until I was able to have a few slices of this wonderful Watermelon cake.
The many layers of sherbet were always the best treat on a hot summer day. Since we do not have Friendly's in the midwest, I set out to create my own version of a Sherbet Watermelon cake.... and it tastes just like the real thing!
Ingredients for Watermelon Sherbet Cake Recipe:
- Lemon Sherbet
- Watermelon Sherbet
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Green Food Dye, gel preferred (or use a very thin layer of green lime sherbet)
Step-by-Step Directions for Watermelon Sherbet Cake:
- Remove lemon sherbet (or lime sherbet if using) from freezer and allow to thaw to the point of being moldable. Line a medium bowl with tinfoil - this will make the shape of your watermelon, so flip it upside down to be sure it is a great shape. Spread Lemon sherbet all around bowl, creating a 1 inch layer for the watermelon "rind". Place bowl in freezer and freeze 30 minutes - 2 hours.
- Remove watermelon sherbet from freezer and let thaw until flexible. Add chocolate chips and stir until fully distributed. Pour watermelon sherbet into lemon sherbet bowl and even out the top. Freeze for 4 hours.
- Remove watermelon cake from freezer, place plate on bottom of bowl, flip over and remove cake from bowl onto plate. Carefully remove tinfoil. You should have a yellow igloo-ish mound right now. Dot green food coloring onto paper towel and gently blot the green on the yellow sherbet to create the green skin.
- Freeze until ready to serve. For best results, turn your freezer down a bit. Prior to serving, cut a slice off the side so guests can see the watermelon design. Enjoy!